Go to the U of M home page

Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Identified or likely populations of R. viscosum in eastern North America (yellow dots). Each will be visited, sampled, and studied

In 10 days, I will embark on a plant collection trip across 7 states: Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, and Pennsylvania.  I am seeking a wild azalea, Rhododendron viscosum, to study the broader issue of plant adaptation to diverse soils.   The wide geographic range and biology of the above species make it ideal for this kind of research, the details of which I will elaborate on in future posts.  My collaborators include U.S. Forest Service biologists, Department of Agriculture scientists and technicians (USDA-ARS), as well as public gardens and private landowners who have volunteered land and collections throughout the country.  I hope that this blog will serve as a narrative of my field notes to document this portion of my thesis work.  I also hope this will aid in communicating both current and classical genetic analysis as it applies to plant adaptation and improvement.  But ultimately I hope to showcase that the plants around us aren't just food for our sustenance, but food for our thought. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment